Self-Closing Industrial Safety Gate
Secure ladder openings and prevent fall from height self-closing industrial safety gates
The self-closing double bar safety gate is designed to prevent falls from height at ladder openings, working platforms or pedestrian areas. The safety gates exceed the EU ISO 14122-3 standard requirements and is TÜV tested. The self-closing gate uses gravity to close, therefore it does not depend on springs, dampers, cams or operators. It is easy to install with the same hinge for left or right. Corrosion resistant and maintenance free. Confirms to OSHA requirements.
Many swing gates (or safety gates) have been found to have hinges with neither the necessary quality of material nor the design strength to serve their intended function over time. Many older gates also lack integrated toeboards.
Best Practice Recommendations Safety Gates / Swing Gates (Drops Handbook)
- Wherever possible, the hinges must form an integral part of the gate – i.e. they should be welded on
- Removable gate hinge pins must be fitted with secondary retention e.g. split pin
- Safety Gates must open / swing inwards to the platform or deck
- Safety Gates must be at the same strength as surrounding guard rails
- Safety Gates must be secured against becoming disengaged
- Safety Gates must be designed to automatically return to and remain in the closed position
- On floating rigs, the use of locking fingers should be considered so that the gate can be locked in the closed position
- Where possible, toe boards should be integrated in gates
- Swing gates must be inspected and maintained on a regular basis to ensure adequate function
- Where flip-over / drop-down gate rails are fitted, these must be secured with secondary retention e.g. split pin and where necessary secured with safety wire.
CableSafe Safety Gate is TÜV Tested.
CableSafe – Safety Gates is in compliance with International Standardization Organization standard – ISO 14122-3:2001 [section: 3.2.5 self closing gate part of the guard-rail which is intended to be opened easily. When the gate is released, it will close automatically using e.g. the effect of gravity or a spring]
CAUTION: Old fashioned flip-over / drop-down gate mechanisms can become dropped objects. Self-closing gates such as the CableSafe Safety Gate eliminates this hazard and would be recommended where practicable.
Installation in 10 min
Specifications Self-closing Safety Gate
- Gate automatically closes by gravity
- Gate operates in all conditions
- Rises when opened; Returns closed when released
- Reliable (TÜV-tested, exceeds EN ISO 14122)
- Design does not depend on springs, cams, bearings, or the operator
- Withstands 400 lb (180kg) impact test at ambient temperatures, as well as extreme temperatures (-51°F / -46°C)
- Excellent outdoor weatherability. Supports heavy loads 24/7
- Due to chemical matrix, material will discolor but not degrade
- No loss of tensile strength after 9 month UV-exposure tests in Arizona and Florida
- Available in 4 sizes: Opening (mm/inch) between posts specifies size.
Single self-closing Safety Gate
- Moulded flame retardant thermoset polyurethane
- Operating termperarature -40°C to +70°C
- Not electric conductive
- Universal left and right hinge
- Good weather, UV and chemical resistancy
- Load baring capacity: EN 14.122-3&4
- Sizes: 500 (300-560mm: 3.4 kg) 630 (561-685mm: 3.8 kg) 760 (686-810mm: 4.0 kg) 890 (811-940mm: 4.4 kg)
Based on the following impact test we recommend the use of double safety gates.
Advantages self-closing gravity Safety Gate
- Easy to install (light weight)
- Maintenance free (corrosion resistant)
- Economical (less expensive than steel)
- Quick delivery (from inventory)
- No wear (PTFE bearings)
- High visibility (safety-yellow colored)
- Strong rigid construction (high impact resistant)